BAFTA has announced the nominations for the 2020 EE British Academy Film Awards.
The British Academy of Film and Television Arts has announced the nominations for the EE British Academy Film Awards in 2020, the awards recognising the very best in film of the past year, and whose ceremony will place on Sunday 2 February at the Royal Albert Hall, London.
Among the revealed nominations is a surplus of talent from the UK screen industry, including a number of UK Screen Alliance and Animation UK members. Here are some of the categories and nominations:
- 1917 Pippa Harris, Callum McDougall, Sam Mendes, Jayne-Ann Tenggren
- THE IRISHMAN Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal, Martin Scorsese, Emma Tillinger Koskoff
- JOKER Bradley Cooper, Todd Phillips, Emma Tillinger Koskoff
- ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD David Heyman, Shannon McIntosh, Quentin Tarantino
- PARASITE Bong Joon-ho, Kwak Sin-ae
OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
- 1917 Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris, Callum McDougall, Jayne-Ann Tenggren, Krysty Wilson-Cairns
- BAIT Mark Jenkin, Kate Byers, Linn Waite
- FOR SAMA Waad al-Kateab, Edward Watts
- ROCKETMAN Dexter Fletcher, Adam Bohling, David Furnish, David Reid, Matthew Vaughn, Lee Hall
- SORRY WE MISSED YOU Ken Loach, Rebecca O’Brien, Paul Laverty
- THE TWO POPES Fernando Meirelles, Jonathan Eirich, Dan Lin, Tracey Seaward, Anthony McCarten
SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS
- 1917 Greg Butler, Guillaume Rocheron, Dominic Tuohy
- AVENGERS: ENDGAME Dan Deleeuw, Dan Sudick
- THE IRISHMAN Leandro Estebecorena, Stephane Grabli, Pablo Helman
- THE LION KING Andrew R. Jones, Robert Legato, Elliot Newman, Adam Valdez
- STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER Roger Guyett, Paul Kavanagh, Neal Scanlan, Dominic Tuohy
- FROZEN 2 Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee, Peter Del Vecho
- KLAUS Sergio Pablos, Jinko Gotoh
- A SHAUN THE SHEEP MOVIE: FARMAGEDDON Will Becher, Richard Phelan, Paul Kewley
- TOY STORY 4 Josh Cooley, Mark Nielsen
A total of 39 feature films received nominations today. Highlights include:
- 11 nominations for Joker
- 10 nominations for The Irishman and Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood
- Nine nominations for 1917
- Five nominations for Little Women, Marriage Story and The Two Popes
- Four nominations for For Sama, Parasite and Rocketman
- Three nominations for Bombshell, Judy, Le Mans ’66 and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
- One nomination for each of the following feature films: American Factory, Apollo 11, Avengers: Endgame, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Booksmart, Diego Maradona, The Farewell, Frozen 2, The Great Hack, Klaus, Knives Out, The Lighthouse, The Lion King, Maiden, Only You, Pain and Glory, The Personal History of David Copperfield, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Retablo, A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon, Sorry We Missed You, Toy Story 4 and Wild Rose
The nominees for the EE Rising Star Award were announced yesterday as Awkwafina, Jack Lowden, Kaitlyn Dever, Kelvin Harrison Jr, and Micheal Ward. The award is voted for by the British public and presented to an actress or actor who has demonstrated exceptional talent and has begun to capture the imagination of the UK public. Voting is now open at ee.co.uk/baftas.
This year the BAFTAs will be hosted by Graham Norton and will be broadcast exclusively on BBC One and BBC One HD in the UK and in all major territories around the world.
UK Screen Alliance would like to wish all of our members’ teams who have worked on the nominated titles good luck in the awards!